Buying your next watch - Part 2 of 2

If you have read part-1 of this article already then this post is really a continuation of the same article wrapping up my thoughts to consider when purchasing ones next watch. 


6. Do not settle for something else
Watches as mentioned earlier are really in this day and age truly a want and not necessarily a need. It is very much an aspirational object. Now very often when one is early in to the hobby of watch collecting it is fascinating to learn about new brands. When I first got into watches I was just a massive G-Shock fan and collected a lot of them. As my journey progressed and started learning about the swiss watch industry I was a little shocked. The earliest brand I came across was a Raymond Weil watch and looking through their catalogue I was shocked at how much they were charging for a watch. You might be sniggering right now and rightfully so. Little did I know how deep this rabbit hole went. What I thought were eye watering prices on Raymond Weil brand were significantly lower that some other swiss brands. As I started to learn about all these different brands and my tastes changes rapidly the more I learnt. Every time I learnt about a newer brand and how much more they charged I dug deep into understanding why, uncovering history, heritage, exquisite finishing and innovation. This was the time when just the interest of wanting to get into the swiss watch market made me make some unwise purchasing choices at that time. Each time I purchased a watch I got my momentary satisfaction and then I learnt off a different brand with superior finishing and better overall quality. Understanding the vintage watch market especially can be harder when you consider refinished dials, patina, unpolished cases, fakes and New Old Stock (NOS) products. After maybe 6 years of collecting, buying, trading and making mistakes, today I have considered not settling for a different watch of interest. When I need a specific watch, I will save, I will wait and not compromise on condition, box/papers, quality and source such as buying from an AD for the experience or just buying online. Every time I have settle for instant gratification due to price or a different watch other than what I wanted, it never really quenched the thirst for the one watch I truly like. I mostly landed up purchasing it anyway and my rebound watch just sat there unworn, ignored and mostly liquidated for a lower sale price. This cycle is truly not worth going through for me. Do I have aspirational watches at different price ranges, absolutely. But I also think of my collection holistically in terms of how much I like each watch and i'd like to see even passion across the board. The only way I enjoy every piece in my collection is when they reflect my true genuine love for the piece without compramise. 

7. Hands on time
Ever had that time when you looked at a watch, lusted over it for days, months, read every review you can and then you go try out the watch and you are disappointed in person? It looks oversized/undersized on the wrist, the finish isn't as you expected, the bracelet is uncomfortable or the dial was just not "Wow" the way you had imagined it. This is unfortunately quite normal. Just like a couch you might sit on all day, a shoe, clothes or a mattress, a watch is something personal that sits on your wrist everyday and something you might stare down at multiple times a day. You want this watch to be everything that you dreamed it would be and the best way is to look at the watch hands on. Magazine images, press photos and youtube video may be one thing but it is important for one to get some time with the watch in person, in different lights and different positions on the wrist to truly get a feel of what it wears like. If you are a fan of spectacular finishing and dial work it does not hurt to invest in a loupe to examine aspects of your watch more closely. It also helps to get some interaction with the authorized dealer, understand the demand for the watch, their take on the watch etc. But yes, at the end of the day do not ignore the personal time with your watch. 

8. Watch collecting and knowing what you want can take time (make wise choices and learn from others)
This is truly a hobby for most people and the best thing that one can do is learn as much as they can about what their personal likes and dislikes are. There are tons of videos and news articles dedicated to watch collecting and I think people have shared things in their watch collecting journey that have not worked for them. This is always very helpful because if one can learn from others and reduce remorse in their hobby it only make the journey that much more enjoyable without setbacks. Learn to let go on bitter purchases and money lost because you know what, it is somewhat of a common these among watch collectors. The first time I lost watch on a sale I was devastated. But once I learnt from other collectors that they had similar experiences too then you realize that you are not the exception and this sense of community within this hobby is somewhat reassuring. So cherish your watches, make wise choices and be content in this hobby. 

Comments

Popular Posts